Jess is an Associate Professor in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at Monash University and Adjunct Senior Research Fellow at the Australian Regenerative Medicine Institute. She completed her PhD at the University of York (UK) in 2009 before joining the Australian Institute for Bioengineering and Nanotechnology to broaden her skillset across biomaterials and tissue-engineering. In 2013 she was awarded an ARC DECRA and in 2015 moved to Monash to establish her research group. Jess has been recognised as a Young Tall Poppy by the Australian Institute for Policy and Science (2017) and currently sits on the leadership committee for the Australasian Society for Biomaterials and Tissue-Engineering.
Jess’s interests lie at the interface of cell biology and engineering. Focussing on mesenchymal stem/stromal cells (MSCs), her work uses engineering and biomaterials-based approaches to understand how cells respond to the physical world around them and then apply this to regenerate damaged body tissues. Collaborating within both academia and industry, her work spans fundamental stem cell mechanobiology as well as applications in tissue-engineering and regenerative medicine.
- Carthew J, Donderwinkel I, Shrestha S, Truong, VX, Forsythe, JS, Frith JE. In situ miRNA delivery from a hydrogel promotes osteogenesis of encapsulated mesenchymal stromal cells. 2020, Acta Biomaterialia 101;249-261.
- Li, F, Truong, VX, Fisch, P, Levinson, C, Glattauer, V Zenobi-Wong M, Thissen H, Forsythe JS*, Frith JE*. 2018, ‘Cartilage tissue formation through assembly of microgels containing mesenchymal stem cells’, Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 77, pp. 48-62.
- Frith JE, Kusuma GD, Carthew J, Li F, Cloonan N, Gomez GA, Cooper-White JJ. Mechanically-sensitive miRNAs bias human mesenchymal stem cell fate via mTOR signalling. Nature Comms, 2018 Jan, 9: 257.
- Kusuma GD, Carthew J, Lim R, Frith JE*. Effect of the microenvironment on mesenchymal stem cells paracrine signalling: opportunities to engineer the therapeutic effect. Stem Cells Dev, 2017 26 (9): 617-631.
- Li F, Truong VX, Thissen H, Frith JE#, Forsythe JS#. Microfluidic Encapsulation of Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells for Articular Cartilage Tissue Regeneration. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2017 Mar 15;9(10):8589-8601.
- Kusuma GD, Carthew J, Lim R, Frith JE#. Effect of the microenvironment on mesenchymal stem cells paracrine signalling: opportunities to engineer the therapeutic effect. Stem Cells Dev, 2017 26 (9): 617-631.
- Frith JE, Porrello ER and Cooper-White JJ. New frontiers in microRNA-based tissue regeneration. Stem Cells Transl Med. 2014 May; 3(8); 969-76.
- Frith JE, Menzies DJ, Cameron AR, Ghosh P, Whitehead DL, Gronthos S, Zannettino AC, Cooper-White JJ. Effects of Bound versus Soluble Pentosan Polysulphate in PEG/HA-based Hydrogels Tailored for Intervertebral Disc Regeneration. Biomaterials. 2014 Jan; 35(4):1150-62.
- Cameron AR, Frith JE, Gomez GA, Yap AS, Cooper-White JJ. The effect of time-dependent deformation of viscoelastic hydrogels on myogenic induction and Rac1 activity in mesenchymal stem cells. Biomaterials. 2014 Feb; 35(6):1857-68.
- Frith JE, Cameron AR, Menzies DJ, Ghosh P, Whitehead DL, Gronthos S, Zannettino AC, Cooper-White JJ. An injectable hydrogel for intervertebral disc regeneration. Biomaterials. 2013 Dec; 34(37):9430-40.
- Frith JE^, Mills RJ^, Hudson JE and Cooper-White JJ. Tailored Integrin-Extracellular Matrix Interactions to Direct Human Mesenchymal Stem Cell Differentiation. Stem Cells Dev. 2012 Sep 1; 21(13):2442-56.
- Frith JE, Mills RJ and Cooper-White JJ. Lateral spacing of adhesion peptides influences human mesenchymal stem cell behaviour. J Cell Sci. 2012 Jan 15; 125(Pt 2):317-27.
- Cameron AR, Frith JE, Cooper-White JJ. The influence of substrate creep on mesenchymal stem cell behaviour and phenotype. Biomaterials. 2011 Sep; 32(26):5979-93.
- Frith JE, Thomson B, Genever PG. Dynamic three-dimensional culture methods enhance mesenchymal stem cell properties and increase therapeutic potential. Tissue Eng Part C Methods. 2010 Aug; 16(4):735-49.