Dr Jess Frith is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at Monash University.
Jess obtained her PhD in Biology at the University of York, UK in 2009 where she developed 3D methods for mesenchymal stem cell (MSC) culture. She then moved to Brisbane where she undertook postdoctoral training under the guidance of Prof Cooper-White at UQ. Here she expanded her skillset from pure stem cell biology to include tissue engineering and biomaterials and in 2013 was awarded an ARC DECRA to elucidate the role of microRNA signalling in MSC mechanotransduction. In 2015, she joined the Department of Materials Science Engineering at Monash University where she continues in her quest to elucidate the biological mechanisms that regulate the response of MSCs to physical stimuli and apply this knowledge to develop effective strategies for tissue repair.
- Frith JE, Porrello ER and Cooper-White JJ. New frontiers in microRNA-based tissue regeneration. Stem Cells Transl Med. 2014 May; 3(8); 969-76.
- Frith JE, Menzies DJ, Cameron AR, Ghosh P, Whitehead DL, Gronthos S, Zannettino AC, Cooper-White JJ. Effects of Bound versus Soluble Pentosan Polysulphate in PEG/HA-based Hydrogels Tailored for Intervertebral Disc Regeneration. Biomaterials. 2014 Jan; 35(4):1150-62.
- Cameron AR, Frith JE, Gomez GA, Yap AS, Cooper-White JJ. The effect of time-dependent deformation of viscoelastic hydrogels on myogenic induction and Rac1 activity in mesenchymal stem cells. Biomaterials. 2014 Feb; 35(6):1857-68.
- Frith JE, Cameron AR, Menzies DJ, Ghosh P, Whitehead DL, Gronthos S, Zannettino AC, Cooper-White JJ. An injectable hydrogel for intervertebral disc regeneration. Biomaterials. 2013 Dec; 34(37):9430-40.
- Frith JE^, Titmarsh DM^, Padmanabhan H, Cooper-White JJ. Microbioreactor array screening to elucidate the role of Wnt signaling and microenvironmental factors in osteogenic differentiation of mesenchymal progenitor cells. PLoS One. 2013 Dec 23; 8(12)
- Frith JE^, Mills RJ^, Hudson JE and Cooper-White JJ. Tailored Integrin-Extracellular Matrix Interactions to Direct Human Mesenchymal Stem Cell Differentiation. Stem Cells Dev. 2012 Sep 1; 21(13):2442-56.
- Frith JE, Jaramillo-Ferrada P, Mills R, Cameron A, Titmarsh D, Wolvetang E and Cooper-White JJ. Development of defined culture conditions for expansion of mesenchymal stromal cells for clinical applications. Stem cells and cancer stem cells: Therapeutic applications in Disease and Injury. 2012 (8):13-26. Springer.
- Frith JE, Mills RJ and Cooper-White JJ. Lateral spacing of adhesion peptides influences human mesenchymal stem cell behaviour. J Cell Sci. 2012 Jan 15; 125(Pt 2):317-27.
- Cameron AR, Frith JE, Cooper-White JJ. The influence of substrate creep on mesenchymal stem cell behaviour and phenotype. Biomaterials. 2011 Sep; 32(26):5979-93.
- Frith JE, Thomson B, Genever PG. Dynamic three-dimensional culture methods enhance mesenchymal stem cell properties and increase therapeutic potential. Tissue Eng Part C Methods. 2010 Aug; 16(4):735-49.